I’m a freelance writer and multiplatform journalist, currently based in Pittsburgh, Pa. My arts, entertainment and technology coverage has appeared in Paste, The San Antonio Express-News, The Houston Chronicle and numerous alternative newsweeklies.
After serving as Pittsburgh City Paper’s music editor from 2006-11, I went back to school, and recently completed master’s degrees in Professional Writing and Investigative Journalism at Carnegie Mellon University. Through this program, which included a semester studying in Glasgow, Scotland, I developed skills in digital media and online information design, researched best practices in digital news and launched an ongoing investigation into state arts funding.
Grants and Awards
- St. Andrew’s Society Grants, St. Andrew’s Society of Washington, D.C., 2010-2012
- Adamson Awards for Creative Nonfiction, Carnegie Mellon English Dept., 2011 and 2012
- Terry Harper Memorial Scholarship, Society for Professional Journalists, 2012
- Artist Opportunity Grant, Greater Pittsburgh Arts Council, 2010
- Golden Quill journalism awards, Press Club of Western PA, 2007-2010
- Notable Music Writing, Da Capo Press Best Music Writing 2009
- Rhodes Scholar Nominee, Grove City College, 2000